Friday, May 14, 2010

You Gotta Start Somewhere…


No. 1
Every look at something and wonder how we got from here to there? Many times we don’t even bother unfortunately, to stop and appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into things so handsomely refined.

No. 2
I was looking at the master work of interior artist Mark Hampton and what caught my attention in the above image was the webbed backed chair sitting next to the bust on column near the doorway. Even though it’s a functional piece of furniture, it really makes an artistic statement all its own. After studying its detail, my eye began to wonder the room thinking about the other pieces of furniture and what it takes to create each piece as designer Mark Hampton had envisioned. That’s when I found Kayel De Angelis.

 
No. 3
Kayel De Angelis is a the third generation high-end custom furniture craftsman. Founded more than sixty years ago by Kayel’s grandfather, Guido De Angelis, this family owned business has earned a loyal following of respected decorators including the likes of Albert Hadley, Mark Hampton and Peter Marino. Looking over their many examples of furnishings, I can understand why they have such a well respected reputation for producing quality pieces.

 
No. 4

 
 No. 5

 No. 6
This Long Island City show and work room is filled with row after row of furniture produced over the years by a talented group of furniture craftsmen. It is true what they say you know, it DOES take a village!

 
 No. 7

 
 No. 8

 
 No. 9
So my friends next time you have a seat in that trusty ole chair you inherited from your grandfather, take a moment to appreciate the amount of hard work that village put into it!

Best regards,
Reynolds 

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing showroom. I would love one of those tufted headboards and sofas and any chair!!!
    Thanks for the email, you are very kind.
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure was all mine! Thanks for stopping by Reynolds Still.

    Best regards,
    Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reynolds, I am Kayel DeAngelis, and thanks for the kind words. I was lucky enough to have worked with the best decorators out there, and what they taught me I hold dear to my heart (AND eye).
    Thanks again,
    Kayel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried to look up online the phone number or address for their new LIC location and found nothing. Care to share?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails